CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Summer readings

Well, it's been a few weeks and I haven't been good at updating. Mostly because I don't want to bore you all with work, work, work. I did spend a lovely vacation with the family at my Grandparents in the U.P. However, since basically everyone who reads this blog also reads my sister's I'll let you read her summary of the trip. I second what she says! :)

The nice part about my job is that I get a chance to read ALOT! So far I've read 3 books and they have all been wonderful! So I thought I would recommend them to you all.

Book #1: Ana's Story by Jenna Bush. It follows the life of a South American (I think) girl named Ana. She has HIV and it tells her life story and struggles. It made me aware that many in this world are suffering and I am grateful for my health, family, and life that God has given me. I am really blessed.

Book #2: Idoleyes by Mandisa. She was a contestant on American Idol season 5. I decided to read it because I am a fan of the show. I remember when she was on there, and I thought how it was cool that she was a Christian. What I quickly found out while reading the book was how strong of a Christian she is. She was really able to impact so many lives and is an excellent example of who Christ is.

Book #3: Mistaken Identity by Don and Suzi Van Ryn and Newell, Colleen, and Whitney Celerek. This book is about the tragedy that happened 2 years ago to the Taylor University students who were hit coming home from a school banquet they worked at. Five people were killed. One student survived. For five weeks they thought it was Laura Van Ryn. However, they actually mixed up the identities and she was actually Whitney Celerek, a student they declared as one of the victims. This book is written by the families. It is an amazing story! I actually watch a special on dateline a few months ago where they told the story and interviewed the family. Honestly, I can't begin to describe how amazing this all is. The faith of both these families is remarkable. I put myself in everyone's shoes and wonder if I could go through what they did. This is truly a must read for all!

So, there you go. Just some thoughts. All three of these books have made me see that I am blessed by God. They've also shown me how God is truly able to use his children for good things. I just need to make sure that I am ready for whatever He has for me.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I will definitely take you up on your recommendations! I'm always looking for more good books to read :) Its one of the things I love about summer - there's actually time to do it!

Kim said...

It would definitely be cool to be in DC on the 4th! I was a little disappointed we didn't end up going. And yes, you should definitely visit, on the 4th or anytime! Better yet, I think you should move down here :)